|Many of us know that solar energy is good, but few really understand why. |
Therefore, I compiled a comprehensive list of solar energy advantages and disadvantages that will enable you to make an educated decision whether on not Solar Power is right for YOU.
Solar Energy Advantages
1. Saves you money
- After the initial investment has been recovered, the energy from the sun is practically FREE.
- The recovery/ payback period for this investment can be very short depending on how much electricity your household uses.
- Financial incentives are available form the government that will reduce your cost.
- If your system produce more energy than you use, your utility company can buy it from you, building up a credit on your account! This is called net metering.
- It will save you money on your electricity bill if you have one at all.
- Solar energy does not require any fuel.
- It's not affected by the supply and demand of fuel and is therefore not subjected to the ever-increasing price of gasoline.
- The savings are immediate and for many years to come.
- The use of solar energy indirectly reduces health costs.
2. Environmentally friendly
- Solar Energy is clean, renewable (unlike gas, oil and coal) and sustainable, helping to protect our environment.
- It does not pollute our air by releasing carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxide, sulphur dioxide or mercury into the atmosphere like many traditional forms of electrical generations does.
- Therefore Solar Energy does not contribute to global warming, acid rain or smog.
- It actively contributes to the decrease of harmful green house gas emissions.
- It's generated where it is needed.
- By not using any fuel, Solar Energy does not contribute to the cost and problems of the recovery and transportation of fuel or the storage of radioactive waste.
3. Independent/ semi-independent
- Solar Energy can be utilized to offset utility-supplied energy consumption. It does not only reduce your electricity bill, but will also continue to supply your home/ business with electricity in the event of a power outage.
- A Solar Energy system can operate entirely independent, not requiring a connection to a power or gas grid at all. Systems can therefore be installed in remote locations (like holiday log cabins), making it more practical and cost-effective than the supply of utility electricity to a new site.
- The use of Solar Energy reduces our dependence on foreign and/or centralized sources of energy, influenced by natural disasters or international events and so contributes to a sustainable future.
- Solar Energy supports local job and wealth creation, fuelling local economies.
4. Low/ no maintenance
- Solar Energy systems are virtually maintenance free and will last for decades.
- Once installed, there are no recurring costs.
- They operate silently, have no moving parts, do not release offensive smells and do not require you to add any fuel.
- More solar panels can easily be added in the future when your family's needs grow.
Solar Energy Disadvantages
- The initial cost is the main disadvantage of installing a solar energy system, largely because of the high cost of the semi-conducting materials used in building one.
- The cost of solar energy is also high compared to non-renewable utility-supplied electricity. As energy shortages are becoming more common, solar energy is becoming more price-competitive.
- Solar panels require quite a large area for installation to achieve a good level of efficiency.
- The efficiency of the system also relies on the location of the sun, although this problem can be overcome with the installation of certain components.
- The production of solar energy is influenced by the presence of clouds or pollution in the air.
- Similarly, no solar energy will be produced during nighttime although a battery backup system and/or net metering will solve this problem. See www.dsireusa.org for details on how net metering allows you to save electricity and money.
- As far as solar powered cars go - their slower speed might not appeal to everyone caught up in today's rat race.
To learn more about solar energy, go to http://facts-about-solar-energy.com/
You'll discover ...
- what solar energy is
- how solar energy works
- interesting facts about solar energy
- how much solar energy costs
- passive solar energy for homes, and
- how to build solar energy systems
There's a whole section for students, teachers and parents; whiles homeowners can obtain FREE QUOTES for their solar energy projects. You'll find book and product reviews plus some helpful energy saving tips.
Please email any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Author
The author strives to make make more people aware of the benefits of using solar energy through her website http://facts-about-solar-energy.com/
Freecycle Means Free Stuff and a Cleaner Environment
Over one million members in almost 3,000 communities worldwide are sharing their unwanted stuff. All the getting and giving is possible through an organization called Freecycle, a grassroots movement of people who give away things for free in their...
Create an environmentally friendly shopping policy
These days, buying green products does not mean sacrificing your quality of life or needing to become a hippy. There are many high quality environmental products which are better for the environment and your health. Today, you have far more options...
Schools - Green and Clean
Now that you are settled back at school it is a good time to think about how you can help the planet by making your classroom and school environmentally friendly. Here are some ideas to get you started: ...
SOBERING DISCIPLINARY WARNING
The transition from 2004 to 2005 has been electrifying. The international ramifications of the deaths of so many people, and the wrecked livelihoods of multitudes of survivors, has brought about an international outpouring of concern and aid in the...
Detoxing Engines Can Save Lives and Money at the Fuel Pump
Does the word "pollution" evoke a passive response from you? I am embarrassed to say that before this article, "pollution" was an impotent word further weakened by its necessity - we depend on engines of all shapes and sizes to function in modern...