|By Dianne Legro|
Speech and Presentation Coach & President of Speaking Success, Inc.
7 Tips that calm and center you before your presentation:
1. Breathe and stretch before your presentation for at least ten minutes. This refreshes you, gets oxygen flowing to your brain and releases the hold your mind has on your body which gives you that "pent up" feeling.
2. Bend your knees slightly and bring your torso over your hips, so that your back is long and loose and your tailbone is pointed towards the floor. Let your shoulders drop. This put you directly aligned over your center of gravity and makes you stronger and calmer.
3. Shake your hands loose. This helps with creativity and mental agility.
4. Rehearse your opening and closing. Slowly go over the words you will say so that you are confident.
5. Before you speak, take a deep breath and find a face in the audience to connect with. Smile. Let them know you are glad to be there with them.
6. Remind yourself how important it is for people to receive this information. This takes the responsibility off you and puts it on the subject that they need to learn about.
7. Do a soft humming exercise. Close your lips and softly hum using the letter "mmmmmmmm." This warms up your resonance and gets your tongue and lips relaxed and loose.
Remember, the presentation is not about you. People have come into the room needing to hear the information you have for them. What you need to think about is them and how much they need to hear the information! It helps them and takes your mind off YOU!
About the Author
For the past 18 years Dianne has worked with Fortune 500 Companies and top government agencies to optimize leadership & communication skills. As a veteran Broadway stage performer,
Contact her today:
Communicating In Chaotic Environments
How do you, or would you, communicate in a chaotic environment? That question was put to me by a reader who works in big, frantically-paced telecommunications company. Many projects operate at the same time, and many connections exist among the...
How to Choose a Satellite Provider - Part I
Choosing a Satellite TV Provider By Gary Davis Dish-Network-Satellite-TV.ws Webmasters: You may reprint this article in its entirety, providing you leave the Byline and About the Author sections intact, including the links...
How to communicate to the four main personality types
You probably know this already, but there are generally held to be four main personality types, which I call: Extrovert, Amiable, Analytical and Pragmatic . Let's take a moment to consider each of them in the workplace. Extrovert: someone who...
How to Negotiate Effectively
How to Negotiate Effectively By Gary E. Cain, M. Ed. Author You may be thinking, "Gary, I am a mom, housewife, or stay-at-home dad, so why do I need to know how to negotiate effectively?" I'm glad you asked. The truth is everyone needs to...
VoIP Asia Earthquake and Tsunami Relief
Promotional Offer One-Week Extension We are happy to announce the extension of our December Promotional Offer for Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) Communications Customers. BE 100% SURE TO GET YOUR TSUNAMI RELIEF, FRIENDS AND FAMILY ON THE VoIP...